Nice video here from Tom Lodziak in which coach Emma Harradine demonstrates a forehand loop (against backspin) that just looks so spinny, safe and reliable.
I’ve always liked the idea of this shot – the archetypal third ball in the rally – being like a well-oiled machine, but have never quite nailed it. So I’m gonna study this!
The key points are:
- Drop the right knee and put weight on right foot
- Rotate hips and upper body so that non-playing shoulder, elbow face table and non-playing upper-arm is horizontal like table surface
- Drop bat below height of the ball
- Brush the ball
- Contact ball at top of its bounce – don’t let it drop
- Rotate hips, upper-body
- The key is consistency and spin. This shot is a set-up not a winner
- Next shot can be more direct and faster, but don’t blast it either – there’s no need. Going for position is really effective.